What Should I Do?
by Poppy Smith
: : : : :
STEWING OVER SOME DECISIONS YOU HAVE TO MAKE? Wondering how to "read" the signs of what is God's will and what isn't? Wanting a guarantee from God that the choice you make will turn out the way you're hoping? As Christians, some decisions are obvious. Should you walk out of a shop without paying? Noooo! Should you curse at your children or employer? Noooo. Scripture is very clear about many decisions- -but what about the ones that are not accompanied with a "Thus says the Lord?"
I have been wrestling with a decision for the past month and have asked God frequently for wisdom as James 1:5 directs: "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." I have waited on the Lord, listening for His voice and wishing He would answer NOW! I have asked certain friends to pray. I have looked to see how He is guiding me. And, finally, I have made my decision!
Let me tell you some of the ways that helped me, in case you are wondering,
What should I do?
- Wait. Be patient. Don't make a quick
decision unless it's life or death!
- Pray for wisdom. Read Scripture, listening
and looking for principles that apply.
- Ask yourself: "Does this decision reflect the character of Christ?"
- Seek the input of wise friends.
- Make a list of advantages and disadvantages.
- Recognize that God's will is our
transformation. He will continue to work in us whatever decision
we prayerfully make. Philippians 1:6; Romans 12:1-2
- Rest in knowing that your relationship with God
can be strengthened whether the choice you make turns out to be free, or
full, of obstacles.
- Ask yourself, "Which will bring me closer to the Lord?"
- "Which will stretch my faith and bring spiritual transformation?"
- Imagine presenting your choice to Goddo you
feel joy and peace, or unrest?
- Make your decision in faith, trusting that God will lead you in the days ahead.
Copyright 2008 - Poppy Smith. All rights reserved.