You want to share your faith in Jesus. You know He said to go into the world and tell people about Him (Matthew 28:19-20). You want to bring Him joy as you honor what He’s done for you. But HOW?
Building on last week’s article by Kathy Collard Miller, I asked my friend, ministry assistant and gifted evangelist, Karen Robbins, to share how she reaches out to people. Here is what she recommends:
As Christians, we are going to make an amazing trip someday. The destination is far greater than any paradise island on earth. We can invite anyone we want! It is their own choice to go with us or not, but the invitation is ours to give away.
Why do we often keep this wonderful prize to ourselves? What makes us hesitant to share the good news? Are we afraid of what others may think of us? Are we afraid to step on toes or hurt their feelings? Or do we simply not know when or how to lead a friend to Christ?
Too often we expect Christian leaders and speakers to do the job. But YOU are the one who is there walking and talking with people in your circle, and you have something that could change their lives and destiny.
To be ready the next time an opportunity arises check out these simple, yet very helpful steps:
1) Prepare your testimony. Everyone loves a story. People cannot argue with your story. It’s your experience. Write it out. What was your life like before Christ? How did you meet Christ? How has your life changed? If you don’t have a dramatic story because you came to faith as a child, talk about why you love God and how He has directed, comforted, or touched you in some way.
2) Practice giving the plan of salvation. There are many Scriptures you can use. Review them often so they will be on the tip of your tongue ready to share at any opportunity. Check out WANT TO GROW? for a clear sequence of Scriptures to memorize and use.
3) Pray for opportunities to share your faith. Too often we miss times when we could have inserted a comment or compelling question that could have led to further discussions right then or later. Learn to recognize open doors in conversations at work, on the bus or on your walk through the neighborhood. Be sensitive to hurting people around you who need comforting or physical help. Wherever you are, offer to pray for them. Follow up with them to show you really care.
4) Present the Good News. The ticket for the trip of a lifetime is paid for. Profess your faith in Christ Jesus confidently and plant the seeds wherever you can. Romans 1:16 says, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.”
5) Pour over the following verses. Absorb their life changing truth for anyone who struggles with guilt, shame, a sense of worthlessness, or meaningless. Knowing the love of God and that our lives have purpose and value changes people. Share how these truths have changed your life.
- Romans 3:23 - Everyone has sinned.
- Romans 6:23 - The price of sin is death. God’s gift is eternal life.
- Romans 5:8; John 3:16 - God loves us and sent his Son to pay the price for our sins.
- 1 John 1:9 - God is faithful to forgive us our sins.
- Revelation 3:20; John 8:32 - Jesus stands waiting for us to let Him in to our lives so that His truth can set us free from the bondage of sin.
My prayer is that you thrive spiritually this summer and experience the joy of sharing, and even seeing, others come to faith in Christ.
Let’s Talk: How has knowing God changed you? (If you are an email subscriber and want to comment on the actual post, click here to visit the blog and leave a comment.)
“5 steps to reach out and share Jesus: http://wp.me/p2JdPr-VL from @Choose2Grow and Karen Robbins #ThriveThisSummer” – Click here to tweet this.
“To be ready the next time an opportunity arises check out these simple & helpful steps: http://wp.me/p2JdPr-VL #ThriveThisSummer” – Click here to tweet this.
International speaker, multi-published author, Bible teacher, and spiritual coach
Inspiring Women to Thrive!
Permission to use this article is granted provided the following credit is fully included.
Poppy Smith is funny, warm, and passionate about helping women grow spiritually and personally so they experience the love and power of Christ in life’s ups and downs. A former teaching leader with Bible Study Fellowship, Poppy has a Masters in Spiritual Formation and ministers extensively as a retreat and conference speaker both in the US and around the world. For more information about Poppy’s heart, her books and ministry, please visit her website at www.poppysmith.com.